Monday, November 13, 2006

Googling Myself/ Anthology



Every few days, i google myself and banal pig to see how famous me and my comics are. i am happy that if you google banal pig all the top ten are relevant to me and the comic, but theres this one that always hovers around number 11 which is from some feminist group where banal pig appears as an anagram of their name. this annoys me a bit. theres a steve tillotson who is an expert on afghan hounds, and also one that works for the dakota department of waste management.
i found a review of the anthology that i contributed to, dan lester's Crap Your Pants Anthology, which does suffer from the narrow subject field (shitting yourself). and fair play to dan, he has publicised it far and wide- it pops up all over the place (unfortunately it invariably gets slagged off). i did an uncle ken strip which was quite good, and the review says that mine is one of the four strips worth bothering out of the (18 story) anthology, which is fair enough.
i suppose its good to stand out in a thing such as this with your peers, and i'm happy with it obviously, but it makes me think about my own anthology i'm planning. anthologies are always let down by a few really shit things, and i am going to attempt to create one which has no shit in it. i think open submissions is a bad idea for this because it seems crap people have a lot of time on their hands, so i'm concentrating on inviting people that i know will produce the goods. hopefully having a mix of prose, art and comics will give it a bit of an edge.

is it possible, a 100% quality (small press) anthology? has anyone ever seen one?

4 comments:

Mimey said...

I have one word for you, Mr Steve:

proof reading

That's generally the distinction between good and shite in the world of the small press.

Not that I know anything about it anyway. I must spend some money on some soon, though.

Anonymous said...

be cruel man. it's your name on the line if there's any crap in it.

Mick said...

I think The End Is Nigh is a quality small-press book. The shit bits (the bits I do!) in it are still interesting.
The trouble with small press anthologies, generally is that whoever's putting them together lets all his mates in, and is not detached enough to tell them it's rubbish. I'm not knocking it though, it's how I keep getting published!

steve said...

jvs i know you're a stickler for spelling and grammar and so am i, but i think there are certain occasions where it doesnt really matter.
oliver, i intend to be
mick you're right- no mates! i'll go ring everyone i know and tell them to fuck off!